Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Military-Industrial Complex and My Bathroom

I am inspired by the loo-blogging of Sweasel to expound on matters ablutional.  When I bought my house the one major downside was the upstairs bathroom.  For reasons I could not fathom the tub, toilet AND sink were all this bland, flesh-toned pink that was unpleasant to my eye, especially in the early morning.  Why, I asked myself, would anyone go to the extra bother and expense of having bathroom fixtures that were, to be blunt, pretty much the same color as the user?

I found the answer: Mamie Eisenhower.  She unleashed a veritable plethora of pink bathrooms in the 50's.  I escaped lightly; it could have been the pepto-bismal pink shade, or extended to the tile. (Mamie had pink *cotton balls* in her bathroom.)

Don't let the Save the Pink Bathroom people know, but I am going to considerable expense to rip this monstrosity apart.  If anyone wants a pink toilet for nefarious purposes, let me know (you pick up).  Preference will be given to plans involving explosives.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a very yellow bathroom (which I love) in my 1963 house. There is an on-line company named This Old Toilet that supplies plastic toilet seats for vintage colored fixtures THAT MATCH EXACTLY! Makes them look like new! I sent This Old Toilet $64 and got a chart of color chips for the old sunshine yellow, seafoam green, etc. fixtures that referenced the manufacturers' names. Such precision!

11:59 PM, February 21, 2011  
Blogger Pam Kueber said...

the pink bathroom people found you! boo hoo. but, i do hope you enjoy your new bathroom!

8:34 AM, April 13, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home