Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Short but Eventful Life of Spacebat

I was not aware that the latest shuttle launch had a stowaway. An *external* stowaway. A wounded bat clung to the foam-covered main fuel tank and was still visible at launch. It could move, so presumably it could have left if it wanted. But maybe it knew it was doomed anyway, since it couldn't fly with an injured wing, and decided to go out in glory, on a thundering pillar of fire, and take that one small flap for species Chiroptera.

Bon Voyage, Spacebat!
(N.B. you will want to switch from sonar to radar. No air in space. Or bugs. You did pack a lunch, yes?)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I'd had time for an H&I today, I was going to include the saga of Spacebat.

But, now that I've seen yours, my effort would have been paltry and puny.

Oh, and the damn word verification right now is a real PITA! Too curvy!

Heh. Minor fail. New choice is easier.

11:52 AM, March 19, 2009  
Blogger Barb said...

My hats off to Spacebat - out inna blaze of glory. And just where *would* a bat pack a lunch, ennywho?

9:12 AM, March 21, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*peering around for the 10-foot pole with which I am not touching that line*

10:24 AM, March 22, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home