Friday, May 19, 2006

Getting close to nature

It is possible to have too much of a good thing. I enjoy all the little critters cavorting around the neighborhood, and seeing the great Cycle of Life in all its manifestations -- for example, when a stupid squirrel fails its saving throw scampering across the road, which then means the crows come to, er, recycle and this entertains my cats. Or when I get reamed out by the chickadees for not keeping the feeder topped up. You just haven't lived until you get told you are Not Meeting Expectations by something the size of an egg.

I thought I had evicted all the freeloaders last year with the Great Siding Removal project. Turns out I missed a few. Not spiders, but freaking RACCOONS. A nest of the suckers! My vestigal and unused (fortunately) chimney is, in their view, a desireable penthouse quite suitable for raising young'uns. There is a bit of a commute (up the camellia and across the roof) but the advantages to having brick defenses and a location few if any predators can reach outweigh the disadvantages.

What is truly impressive is how quiet they've been. I would never have known about my four-legged chimney inspectors if my neighbors had not observed Mom on her way home to the kids. I suppose I will wait until the sprouts are old enough to leave home before posting the eviction notice, but this has got to stop. I mean, they don't even bring me nuts and berries for rent.

Sigh. The contractor is going to *love* this job ....

2 Comments:

Blogger Barb said...

So, at this point you are hoping the chimney IS blocked, so there's no way the little critters can make it inside. Raccoons Bite!

12:49 PM, May 19, 2006  
Blogger I am Heidi's Mom. said...

Two summers ago, we were hit by three hurricanes in as many weeks. A large portion of our 75 acres was trashed, the swimming pool is STILL not back in perfect working order and the greenhouses crumpled like a house of cards. Nevertheless, the one hundred year old plus magnolia in the front yard was still standing. Thank goodness, as the house would NOT have been should it have decided to come down. Still nesting in the hollow of the tree was a mother raccoon and four babies. Completely unharmed by the force of the weather, they had managed to ride out all three hurricanes. Mother Raccoon decided to come back again the next year and successfully raised three more offspring. They are rather determined little buggers. Make sure you have plenty of backup should you decide to 'go in there after them' : )

5:38 PM, June 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home