Sunday, April 09, 2006

Happy Birthday, Iraq!

Three years, and wishing many more. The difficulty being, as with three-year-old humans, you've almost got the walking without assistance thing hammered out, you have no difficulty expressing your desires and feelings, and you can see things could be better and want it right now. Absolutely understandable. Sitting safe in my own house, with nobody shooting at me, I don't have any right to criticise their impatience. Impatience is a good thing, it motivates change. All I can say to the complaints is, this, or Saddam. Those were the choices. And put those goalposts back where you found them, thank you.

I can be patient even with the messiness that exists in Iraq today because I remember the passion and delight in the Iraqi blogs when it was finally made clear that they were free. One I still remember is from Iraq the Model. Proving to his neighbor Saddam was gone by cursing him in a public street, which would have been a death sentence before. (Note to moonbats: That is how a true fascist dictator behaves. How many times have you cursed, libeled, and made anatomically implausible suggestions about the current President? Have you been killed for any of them? Didn't think so.)

And now Zeyad of Healing Iraq is coming to the US, to study journalism! He needs to raise funds to do it, though, so please go to his site and click the donation button. We desperately need some counterbalance to Yale's Taliban Man, I'm thinking. Zeyad can do it. I know for a fact he approves of pretty girls in public view, so that's a huge improvement right there. Plus he's funny and intelligent and will politely stick up for the truth, even when it makes people uncomfortable.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Sanity Inspector said...

I took the liberty of posting bits of this in the usenet forum alt.quotations. Nicely said.

5:47 PM, April 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home