Thursday, March 30, 2006

Thoughts on Drugs

In the abstract I can sympathize with those (coughInstapunditcough) who think the government should dump the whole War on Drugs and legalize. A good rule of thumb is less government is better.

In reality, however, one of the primary duties of a government is to protect the lives and property of its citizens. Ergo, I think the gummint is going to be in the drug interdiction business for a long time. Funny, but your friendly neighborhood dope peddler does not give the stuff away for free and if you are doing the chemical equivalent of roto-rootering your brain, holding down a paying job becomes, shall we say, difficult.

Which is why I, and everyone else in the Seattle-metro area, can't leave letters in our mailboxes for pickup any more. Hell, they had to come up with special reinforced and bolted-down USPS mailboxes because the crackheads were running them over with cars to steal the mail. Then they would go through and find any checks, wash them, and use them to finance their drug habits. More enterprising addicts would sell check-washing kits for just this purpose.

So no, I don't think the legalization of drugs would do any good. At least from my perspective. You can also ask the Dutch what they think of their liberal drug laws, and if they ever go out with the family for a walk in the park -- or if the comatose bodies and syringes spoil the atmosphere. I would also like to note Oxycontin is legal, and pharmacies have to take huge precautions or not stock it at all because people want to steal it.

Look at all the damage alcohol has done, and THAT's legal. We tried banning it once, but it had become so intertwined in our society it didn't work. It's worth the effort to prevent anything else from joining alcohol in the pantheon of socially-acceptable brain rotters.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Kurt Fischer and i would like to show you my personal experience with Oxycontin.

I have taken for 2 years. I am 27 years old. I took percecet 10 mg 4 times a day and they helped but gave me massive mindgrains so I switched to oxycotin which I think is a better long term drug. Oxycontin doesnt have a coming down experience you stay feeling good the whole day. The only bad thing about it is getting off it, I just resestly got off it 3 days ago and had very bad withdrawl symptoms even with help of a "junkie" medication.

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Kurt Fischer

12:27 PM, November 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home