Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Easy to Find=Easy to Steal

Electronic medical records sound like a wonderful idea, especially if you aren't a software geek. Any doctor you see can magically call up your entire medical history, with all the appended details, and the era of misdiagnoses, drug interactions, and hospital gowns that expose everything clothing is supposed to cover will be over. The trouble is easily accessible records are also easy for hackers to get their sticky fingers on. (via Instapundit) And once it gets loose, you can't get it back. Sorry, but I want all that information under control. All computerizing records will reliably do is allow medical staff to screw up in five minutes what used to take them an hour.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's been my objection to the idea all along--hackers and government snoops. What good is HIPPA when everyone's data is in a form that anyone with the right skill set can break into?

11:45 AM, May 06, 2009  
Blogger Melissa said...

Exactly. And I don't want the government deciding that what I do isn't essential (I'm a SAHM) so I don't get treatment.

2:04 PM, May 06, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home