Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Once upon a time ...

TV used to have fun shows. Your humble Snarkatron does not watch TV any more, having much more worthwhile and enjoyable things to do (work on Death Ray, speak Truth to Moonbats, and if all else fails the kitchen always could use some cleaning.) For some reason a random neuron fired and I remembered one I liked in the misty depths of the past -- Salvage One.

It only ran during 1979, and it combined several elements of success. Andy Griffith, MacGyver-ish clever solutions (before Mr. MacGyver was a twinkle in a scriptwriter's eye, I might add) and, dear to my heart, a female scientist. Who did not wear high heels and need to be rescued every bleeping episode. There's a nice listing of episode summaries here. There was something very appealing about the concept of a home-made rocket that went to the moon to salvage stuff.

Of course since I liked it, the suits killed it off. I guess the juvenile-scientist demographic doesn't buy enough stuff. Or we're the kind of smartasses that want to know why the 1 dentist (of 5) DOESN'T recommend BlancoWhitoPuro, and maybe the other 4 were really bad dentists? Rude questions like that make ad writers cranky.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved that rocket. But then, I've had a soft spot for Vultures since 1969...

6:51 AM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger Tuna said...

I was just thinking about this show the other day, when I saw yet another example that there are no new ideas in Hollywood. There is a movie coming out called "The Astronaut Farmer" or something like that.

9:15 AM, February 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home