Sunday, January 14, 2007

Blood Price

The blogosphere is alight with reaction to Senator Boxer's unfortunate episode vis a vis Secretary of State Rice, and rightly so. But I don't think what was revealed in that little Freudian moment was contempt for unmarried or childless women, but a chilling and inhuman detachment. It appears Senator Boxer feels that if a member of the military is not of your immediate family, their death doesn't matter to you. You don't pay a price. Never mind that those who serve are human, which should provide some kind of bond. Usually. To normal people. Never mind that some of us (even rampaging chickenhawk 101st keyboardists like me) really, actually care about those alleged infants in uniform despite the regrettable fact that none of them share 50% of our DNA. And we weep when they fall. Their injuries pain us. We try to cheer them when they are far from home. The insult Senator Boxer gave Secretary Rice and everyone else who cannot claim close kin in the military is deep and unforgivable.

Sometimes, like Zell Miller, I regret the age of giving challenges is past.

3 Comments:

Blogger FbL said...

Well said, BCR. That was one aspect of it that I found disturbing, but I couldn't articulate it. In my post on this, I tried to talk about having sympathy and about the cattiness of her comment, but I did my usual meandering around. You got right ot the heart of the matter. I too find it deeply disturbing that she seems to think a family relation is required to truly care about those who serve.

Deeply disturbing and offensive...

9:07 PM, January 15, 2007  
Blogger BostonMaggie said...

Wait! I like Sen. Boxer's plan! I get to decide and she doesn't. I gave birth to two male children 25 & 18, and those two extra louts I've been raising are 19. I have birth certificates and food bills and dart holes in my walls to offer as documentation.

7:27 PM, January 16, 2007  
Blogger Barb said...

Nailed that one on the head, BCR. She (and many others) are so callous in their treatment and (dis)regard for our troops, it never ceases to amaze me.

10:05 AM, January 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home