Thursday, March 10, 2011

Time to Snark Again

-Well.  After all of the shrieking and protesting and sign-waving, the Wisconsin Legislature has passed the bill limiting collective bargaining rights from public employees.  About time, I say.  Gov. Walker has much more tolerance for frothing moonbats than I do, which is why he is a successful politician and I am not.  He seems to have given the lunatic opposition just enough rope, but not enough to hinder *him*.  And he got what he always said he wanted.  I wonder if the protesters will notice when the earth continues to rotate, schools still function, and lattes can still be purchased?

-Whenever blogviews get low or the ornry feeling descends I suspect some people (*coughGlenncough*) put up a recurring post with a theme that Women(collectively) are wussifying Men(collectively).  E.g. this PJ article .  I have no doubt the anecdotes can be supported by further anecdotes, but I must be living on a different planet because I haven't seen much of this.  In my teaching career, I saw plenty of ditzy women and engaged and enthusiastic men, and vice versa.  Yeah, anecdotes: but if I have to accept theirs they have to accept mine.  Maybe it made a difference I was teaching science?  I still don't think things are that bad.  My opinion (I have lots, collect the set!) is that we are seeing a grand recalibration of humanity that has nothing to do with the inherent propensities of men and women.  I, Snarkatron, whilst the proud possessor of TWO X chromosomes, think women can be as equally lazy and pathetic as men.  It's just now our culture doesn't hound and persecute lazy men any more, so we see more of them.  They haven't changed!  The good news is honest hardworking men have always existed and continue to do so, and now honest hardworking women have the opportunity to work.  Used to be women had no choice but to be kept.  Used to be that men had to work to support themselves and no woman would pay attention to a man who couldn't provide for her, so even the lazy men (if they wanted female attention) worked.

It's sad, but some people don't mind being kept.  Apparently there are now women who think so little of themselves, or that they must have a man as an accessory like a handbag, so they are willing to keep company with lazy men.  Their problem, not mine.  I do wish the "All Women/Men Are Teh EEEEBIL!" people would find a fulfilling hobby.  Both sides bore me.

-I don't know why people write "We're all DOOOMED!" posts, and then have no suggestions about what to do about the, you know, being doomed part.  Well I do, it feels good to wail to the heavens.  But that lasts about 15 minutes and you have to get back to things like food for *now*.  Agreed the economy sucks and all the people in the current Administration struggle to color inside the lines and entitlement spending is expanding like a shock wave from a supernova -- what can we do to make our post-apocalyptic lives, brief as they might be, more comfortable?  What are the warning signs that I should go drain my bank account and buy barter goods?  Actually, a useful guide to how things went down in Argentina and what to watch for is Ferfal's Surviving in Argentina.  Lots of real, *tested* advice instead of survivalist pr0n.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home