Saturday, July 10, 2010

Maybe if I sign a waiver?

Today is home chores day. I needed some paint, oil-based, for house trim. So, I go to Home Depot with my paint sample to match and wander up to the paint counter, only to be informed they don't have oil-based base paint. None. I proceed to interrogate the paint guy with some puzzlement, since I had gotten oil-based paint there before. From what he told me, since California and other states are piling on the environmental and health regulations, big box stores like Home Depot simply aren't carrying "toxic" paint like the oil-based stuff. Since when is it toxic? And since it is primarily used for outside purposes, it isn't like I'd be huffing the stuff.

So California thinks this paint is too dangerous for me. This would be the same state that thinks it should be perfectly fine for me to inhale, on purpose, marijuana smoke. With many other folks thinking why stop with weed, ALL drugs should be legal to inject, inhale, and ingest. But oil-based paint? Health Hazard Alert!

Now, the paint guy thought that maybe some of the full-on paint stores like Parker still might carry it. Or maybe there's a guy on First and Bell who can get me what I need, if I don't look like a paint cop. WTF, over? It's just *paint*. I promise not to drink it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Justthisguy said...

You just need to go buy some basic lead carbonate and some linseed oil, and make yer own damn' paint. You can, of course, tint it with other toxic colors.

9:40 PM, July 11, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unbelievable! So what are they selling, soy-based paint? I ran into soy-based nail polish the other day and it just doesn't seem like the real stuff.

9:45 PM, July 11, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Volatile organic compounds evaporate
from the paint and mix with other
stuff from cars and trees and with
the magic of UV irradiation from
sunlite create smog. 2 cycle engines
are also on the way out in Kali.
Try other paint only stores, or
newer acrylics are almost as good.

8:08 AM, July 15, 2010  
Blogger Justthisguy said...

#2 Anonymous does not seem to realize that you don't live in Kali. I miss my 2-stroke street bikes, Yamaha DS-7 and RD-400. Rinnnngg-d--dd--dinng!

11:24 PM, July 25, 2010  
Anonymous BillT said...

Start a rumor that illegal immigrants *need* oil-based paint for their signs protesting Arizona's raaaaaaaaaaaaacist laws and watch how fast oil-based paints reappear in Wal-Mart...

3:46 AM, August 02, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home