Wednesday, December 08, 2010

The Sun has a bad hair day



A recent solar filament, caught by the SDO satellite. The massive twisty magnetic fields which you can't see, except for how they snare and drag a gobbet of the sun's surface, are AMAZING. Electromagnetics is a complex field, and the physics of the Sun is at extremes where minor terms in very long equations become very, very significant. A photon can take as long as 170,000 years to get to the surface of the Sun. Just thinking about Solar physics makes me gibber and flap my hands.

Close up video here. (via Watt's up with That)

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous DL Sly said...

I agree. Very wikked kewl.
170,000 yrs for a photon to reach the surface of the sun. I didn't know that. I wonder if that is because of the sun's density or the action of other photons around it bouncing it around so that it can't necessarily rise straight up like one would normally envision?
0>;~}

4:56 AM, December 09, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home